Antico Mulino del Comune di sopra
The existence of this mill is not sufficiently certain, so much so as to put in doubt its existence, if there was no document of 1325 concerning the rental of the two mills of the Municipality. Even more uncertain is its location and functioning, no longer any obvious trace.
Following is a sustainable hypothesis, but different from others already indicated, in light of three simple considerations:
Being a Mulato intended for metalworking, based on what is contained in the aforementioned contract that mentions the existence of two water knits in the mill above and being a shop that, in addition to agricultural tools, could produce weapons would be reasonable its location within the walls.
Given the levels of the gore of the time, the fact that the water from the mill above was reused for the mill below, would confirm that the power of this ironworks had to be connected to an underground channel coming directly from the "Lama" and of which there were evident traces in the area.
Once used by the mill above, the water poured into the channel coming from the Porticciola, going to fill the gora near the mill below. In the case of the already full gora, the discharge of the above mill ended directly in the Copra riverbed, thanks to the canal channel, located a little further south.
The architectural structure of the block below Piazza del Grano and the location of the Fonti Lavatoie built at the end of the nineteenth century, lead us to presume, with good margins of certainty, its location where indicated on the map. This place should today correspond to a large private garage, located close to the aforementioned sources.