Ponte del GarboThe bridge on the Ombrone near Asciano boasts illustrious and ancient birthplace, connects the country with most of its territory and allows the ancient Via Lauretana to cross the river to the only route that once linked Siena to Val di Chiana and continued until the Holy House of Loreto.
This is known as "Garbo Bridge" because it was built with "graceful elegance": large, with a single round arch diameter mt. 17, slender and with his back to the stone on which its robust set any end terminating in brick parapets.
His name, rather than architectural elegance, however, seems to derive from a historical event that decreed his first creation: the behavior of the "polite" Asciano, which Montaperti did not retreat when Siena was in danger of losing its independence, attacked Florentines. In this regard, in the Articles of Siena of the year 1262, it reads: "Pons super numbers Urnhronis prope Scianum".
The importance of this road bridge is demonstrated by its numerous destructions and reconstructions. The last one took place on the night between 27 and 28 June 1944, when retreating German troops blew up with the mines. For four years the river Ombrone you waded, as happened when Asciano rushed to fight the historic battle.
At the beginning of the fourteenth century the frequent sieges and occupations of the country did not save the bridge, which was rebuilt in 1409. In 1555, after Siena lost its independence and the republic was incorporated in the Grand Duchy Mediceo, the bridge destroyed by German troops and Spanish Marquis of Marignano, Cosimo de 'Medici was concerned to do so immediately rebuild.
In 1657 he was taken away by a great flood of the river, but in 1676 it was already rebuilt, being considered one of the most important bridges in the Grand Duchy.
The relief of the Madonna in the tabernacle at the center of the bridge, is unfortunately a copy of the old image venerated by Asciano because, in a fairly recent past, the original was stolen.